Write a Cut-Up Poem
Learning about the area you live through poetry
- Children will learn about syllables and how to write a haiku poem. They will also learn about cut-up poetry.
Introduce Haiku poetry and read aloud some examples. Practice by choosing words and asking how many syllables there are.
Write a Haiku poem using their area as inspiration.
- What they see on their way to school?
- What they like or don't like?
Introduce cut-up poetry
- Use a print-out of lyrics from a popular song or poem (eg, Penny Lane).
- Cut out interesting words from the newspaper and replace certain words in the poem to create a new poem.