Create an Animation
Exploring local railway heritage through film
- Understanding the significance of inventors and inventions (film and train travel) and what impact modern inventions have on our world
- iPads loaded with Stop Motion Studio app (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stop-motion-studio/id441651297?mt=8)
- Ideally with a cover that can be used to stand iPad up vertically
- Chunks of plasticine, enough for each pupil to make a figure 4/5 inches tall
- A4 white paper or card with enough pens/pencils/felt tips for all
- Sheets of A3 if possible (or taped together A4)
Discuss the relationship between the history of the railway and the history of film.
- What makes heritage different to history?
- What impact did different inventions have?
- What was life like before trains, lights bulbs, telephones and photography?
Explain how early film cameras work, show examples of a zoetrope, and lead into basics of animation.
Making an Animation
- Short introduction to the basic functions of the Stop Motion Studio app.
- Make a plasticine model about 4 or 5 inches tall.
- Rehearse the movement of the character.
- Use the Stop Motion Studio to record the movement, make a small movement and take an image. You can review your progress as you go along.
- Record a commentary or some audio to accompany the film.
- Films can then be shared and reviewed.